Sunday 25 September 2011

Eighty Mile Beach

The road to Eighty Mile Beach was as per the last couple.  Low shrub growth will a few sand dunes in the distance.  We did a quick stop off to fuel up but while there we saw several albino peacock.  Never in my life had I seen them before.  They are quiet stunning in a weird way.














Once we climbed the last sand dune into Eighty Mile Beach the coast line opened up to us and as I would say it is a 'Bloody Hell Moment'.  Just so stunning.  We couldn't wait to get in.  We set up the caravan as quickly as possible.  We head then straight to the beach for a cooling off dip.  When we walked out on the beach in both directions all you could see were fishermen and women.  They were a sight in themselves.  The fishing must be excellent in these waters.  What would we know.  We've never caught a fish.  But I suppose when you see that many people doing it well then it must be good.  We paddled into water around waist deep.  It was very refreshing.  We had not been in the water long when I decided to see how Kaleb was going on the beach so wandered back into shore.  A couple of old timers(grey nomads) stopped on their quad bike.  I thought to myself how lovely, they were coming to say hi.  But instead I got.   "Get out of the water they have been catching sharks in here!"  With a little surprise in my voice I jokingly asked, "Are they great whites?"  The old man just looked at me in bewilderment then repeated his first line and this time add.  "Those sharks will take one of your kids arms off.  GET OUT.  You bloody idiots!"  Wow I was taken aback.  Firstly because he had the cheek to call me that and secondly because we had taken the kids into water with reef sharks in ankle deep water.  Some up to around 4metres long.  OOPS.  I quickly got us all out and we can now live to tell the tale.  "We swam Eighty Mile Beach and live to tell the tale."   Lesson learnt - don't swim in water where you see lots of fishermen.  They tend to bring in fish and fish bring in sharks.  That one is now embedded in the back of my mine.  LOL
Fishermen to the right
Fishermen to the left








Nigel about to take the first steps into shark infested water....LOL
Went shell collecting on the second day in EMB.  This was lots of fun and we found a heap of interesting ones on our walk.  It was also a good time to spot interesting birds.  We really do need to find out what the names of some of these birds are because the kids ask us all the time.  I think we better get ourselves a bird book.
How many shells can you see?


I wonder which bird belongs to these footprints.












Anyone????  I know they live in pairs and they are at Fraser Island but the name escapes me.

Oops a little bogged.  Not the place to bring a caravan I imagine.
They had a huge crowd by the time they finally got out.
And in the end it was not really bogged more mechanical than that.
Something timed out in the transmission and the computer
shut it down.  Now that's not the time or the place to do it.

The sunsets and sunrises on EMB were just stunning.  I just loved them.  I got up most mornings to gather my thoughts and take a walk on the beach.  These's walks I spent time taking photographs and collecting more shells.  I just love the little scallop shells that come in such different colours.  So very cool.  You would think we had painted them.
Staircase to the Sun!


I love this shot!

Dennis, Marion, Julia and Duncan also came along to Eighty Mile so we caught up with them all for drinks.  Dennis and Marion even took the kids to the beach to explore so Nigel and I could have some 'ME TIME'.  Well that was lovely.  We both lounged on our chairs and read our books.  Just perfect.

We ended up spending four days at EMB.  Now for a place that you could not swim that seemed like a long time but luckily the kids were kept entertained with the big open play area and that made it very easy to stay and sit and read our books.  In the end it was a nice stay.  Probably not a place we would go back to unless I need more shells........

No comments:

Post a Comment