Monday 19 September 2011

Broome

Broome was like an oasis.  We arrived at Cable Beach to the sight of vivid blue water, crystal white sands and the need for a well earned rest.  We decide to stay at the Cable Beach Caravan Park which had been recommended to us by many people and we were glad they had.

We met up with Meaghan, Jonathon, Olivia and Ashley again which was lovely.  We spent the afternoon in the pool, chatting a catching up and then head for the our first sunset on the Indian Ocean.  And oh how she put on a spectical.  What a truly lovely way to end the day.  Beer in hand, sound of the lapping waves, and friends and family all around.  Just perfect!  We took every opportunity to do this and we made the most of it.  It was even more fun because we could even take the Territory on the beach also.  Now that's fun until the car doesn't start and the water is lapping at your front tyres.  Thank god for the jump start kit.  That's the best $120 we've spent.


On our first full day at the park we ran into Nicole, Lachie, Luke and Emily.  We met these travellers in Nelligen and have now caught up with them.  They were heading south when we headed north.  Shane got a job in Broome so they have been there for awhile now.  We ended up having tea with them and drinks to catch up with Shane.  Hopefully we are home when they come through Geelong.  We will love to hear what they have gotten up to on their remaining journey.







On one occasion on the beach we decide to go on the sunset camel ride.  Unfortunately we picked the worst time to fit a ride in as they had two cruise ships docked and everyone else wanted a ride too.  In the end I was able to get the kids on the Red Camels.  They were all ready to go when they yelled at me to see if I wanted a ride also.  But don't forget to grab your husband.  Well a quick dash was made and we had us all aboard.  The kids 3 from the back and Nigel and I second from the front.  I would have loved to watch the kids riding but I had fun on them also.  Because we had been the fill the seat group they gave us a whopping $90.00 discount.  Now that was a bonus.

























Two nights we spent watching the staircase to the moon.  Both times at the Mangrove Resort.  While waiting for it to rise we had a didgeridoo player urging it out.  The first night was excellent but the second night it took a little longer.  It was such a cool experience.  I loved trying to get the photo just right.  But then I found out that the promotional photos are Photoshop.  They take the stairway and the moon seperately so they can define both then put them together.  Cheeky photographers!
Night 2
Night 1









As you can see the second night I got a sharper picture but the staircase was later to arrive so not at her best.




With Olivia and Ashlea

This is the didgeridoo played at the Mangrove Resort. 
 There is no picture.  We were all in the dark wait for the moon to rise.

Oh no!!!!! While in Broome I accidently dropped my hard drive and as I bent down to pick it up I step on it and end up killing the drive.  Oh god.  All my photos for 6.5 months were gone.  I tried every method I could to retrieve them.  I followed Seagates technical support then rang them, then rang Gavin my cousin.  He gave me some hints so I tried them but to no avail .  I have now sent it to the data recovery experts and am going to pray for good news.  It was such a stupid thing not to have backed up my photos.  I'm kicking myself senseless.  I am so upset but hopeful.

We did a self drive tour out to Willie Creek Pearl Farm.  Wow we learnt alot about these wonderful creatures and how they are able to create a perfect pearl.  Jordan was able to assist in removing a keshi pearl from it's shell.  She was so proud of herself.  The tour on the creek was special and the water was the most amazing azure's.  I was a very enjoyable day and I have found the necklace I love but just a little out of my price range.  I will need to work a long time before I get one just like it.

This little crab lives in the oyster shell.  He's called GST.
That's because he get 10% of the food.

Mississippi Clam shell is the starting
 point of the pearl

These are just a few examples.

Jordan harvesting a keshi pearl.  They are
known as the naughty pearls.

The boys wanted to help too.

Jordan's keshi pearl.
No she did not get to keep it.


The large of the two pearls is worth around $7000.00
And yes I did give them back.


This is how they keep the oyster shells in one place.

Don't you just love the blue water.

This is a polished trochus shell


The road to & from Willie Creek.  Blasted bulldust!

I just love this setting!
If you look closely the price is on it.














We also visited Gantheuam Point.  It is the site of many dinosaur footprints but unfortunately the tides were not in our favour and they were not visible.  We did see the cast ones made for display at the top of the point but really it wasn't the same.  The red rock and the blue seas was an amazing contrast and I really enjoyed wandering around the cliff faces.  That was until I saw a snake trail and it gave me the hebbie jebbies.  We spent the remainder of the afternoon wandering around the main street.  Looking in small shops and admiring local artist.  The pearling history and WWII history is all very interesting.
















The days we were not at the beach we were at the pool in the caravan park.  We extended our stay several times and in the end we spent 10 night in Broome.  A little bit of indulgence but one well worth it.  We were very sad to say goodbye to Broome.  They did give us a send off though.  The fireworks on our last night were a fabulous touch...lol.  Definitely on my lets visit again list.



The kids tried desperately to to the moon!

Cable beach at her best!





No comments:

Post a Comment