Sunday 3 April 2011

Bulli (Wollongong)

A quick stop over at Bulli before we headed for Sydney.  The car travelled okay to here but at times the changing of gears was a little rough...we are hoping that it was needing to be driven a little further to get it running more smoothly.  The weather on arrival was a little dismal as was my level of energy.  I felt like a Mack truck had hit me and the last few days was starting to take its toll.  The first afternoon we ate our lunch only to be bombarded by a group of rainbow lorikeets.  They were very persistent little buggers trying to steal the sandwich right from your mouth.  Jordan didn't like them very much and go very nervous every time they came near her.  As for me they just loved me.  Blasted birds at least they were bright and cheery not like me.  Anyway the next day came along and I got up to see a beautiful sunrise.  Another great thing about being on the east coast.  It's so peaceful.  It feels like I'm the only one there which in a sense I am as the rest of the crew are sound asleep.  During the day we decide to take a drive to Wollongong.  We drove the Grand Pacific Drive and only saw the Pacific Ocean for one tenth of the trip! The name of the Drive confuses me a little. But hey the New South Welshmen are known to be a  little strange...lol...  While at the Gong we stopped off at Flagstaff Hill and the kids saw the two lighthouses and played on the large cannons that protected the waters around Wollongong.  Then we drove to Port Kembla to look at the industry in particular BHP.  What a huge place it is.  Next we took a drive up the Bulli Pass.  Another steep stretch of road.  I was behind the wheel of the car as we started the climb but my heart was pumping so fast and my hands were sweaty that I pulled over in a turn out bay and asked Nigel to complete the drive.  I am a little fearful of mountain climbs now.  I think it will pass but at present I grip the seat firmly and hold my breath hoping and praying that we do not breakdown again.  Anyway the car got up the hill easily.  Gear changes again a little rough.  Once at the top we visited the lookouts and then drove back to the caravan park.  What an amazing view from Austinmer to Port Kembla.  Pretty spectacular and I imagine on a clear day you could see much further than Wollongong.  The following day we packed up and then did a scenic drive to the Sea Cliff Bridge along the Grand Pacific Drive.  This time the name of the Drive made sense.  We even saw some paragliders flying around.  What a view they had.  After we left Bulli we had to take the long way back as most people indicated that Bulli Pass and Lawrence Hargrave Drive were both unsuitable roads for caravans so we went back to Wollongong and along the M1 towards Sydney. Unfortunately that pull up Mount Oxley was just as big and it seem to go on forever.  I think I would have prefered Bulli Pass so it was over and done with in a couple of minutes.   Bloody irrational fears I have these days!  Before hit Sydney we decide to visit Symbio Wildlife Park.  Just a small park but the kids got to see and touch some animal.  They enjoyed this very much.





 







No comments:

Post a Comment