Thursday 28 July 2011

Kings Canyon

Wow what a long days drive.  We decided not to stop at Mt E as the kids were travelling well and the roads were quiet so we continued to drive.  While drive we encountered a herd of brumbies.  This was the first time we had seen wild horse and I was so excited to see them that I forgot to get the camera out...how silly of me.  Hopefully I will see some more over the coming days and be able to get that amazing shot.

We organised our site and then set up only to be told by Mrs Peabody that the dingo are dangerous and that we need to keep the children close at hand...oh and the shoes because they are related to Imelda Marcos.

The dingos got my baby....... don't forget the other two....lol.




Ah they are just as timid of us as we are of them...they wont come near us.  Well they did and they certainly weren't as timid as they should be but they are hungry buggers we even saw one break into a tent and help itself to a can of tuna.  She was a little hungry by the looks of her.

Went and watched our first sunset at the Canyon with about 50 others.  Very quiet and personal wouldn't you say.




We took several walks around Kings Canyon including the river walk and Kathleen Springs walk and the Resort Rim Walk.  The only one we did not do was the Kings Canyon Rim Walk which takes 3-4 hours.  We felt the kids would not cope with the length and my heart would not cope with the boisterous boys behaviour on a 260metre sheer cliff face unfenced edge.  Not on your nelly.  That will be something we will do next time we visit.  Which hopefully wont be toooooo far into the future.










One very stupid tourist!


The river walk was amazing and was full of many interesting things to look at and take pictures of.  The kids discovered echo and coooo----eeeeee skills in the canyon and gave it a read hot go at bouncing any sound possible back at them.  I can still say I kicked butt and had my cooo---eeeee last for ages.  The kids were impressed but not poor Nigel he was mortified at the noise we were all making.

The rim walk begins at the same spot as the river walk so we ventured up the steps of the escarpment to take a look at the view out of the canyon.  It was amazing but my heart was bouncing out of my chest with fear and I needed to get off those steps before I fell head first down them.  I never realised how much I dislike heights until coming away on this trip and standing at many a lookout and only just being able to look outwards and not downwards.  Oh what a woose I have become as I get older.










Our walk around Kathleen Springs coincided with the Ranger doing a cleaning check of the track so we had our own personal tour guide telling us about plants and animals as we came across them. I was a lovely way to start our day but we were heading to Uluru next so it was time to get back on the road.





 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment