Wednesday 15 June 2011

Paronella Park - Mena Creek

This stop was literally around the corner from Mission Beach.  It took us around 40 minutes to arrive at Mena Creek where Paronella Park is located.  It was an easy drive but the road were only one car width in places so we were glad not to have come across anyone.  When we arrived we found Mike and Susie in the car park.  We said hello and organised to catch up in the afternoon for drinks.  We settled ourselves in and start unpacking.  As i lifted some items of the bed. I dislodge the tv antenna and it slid off the bed and straight on my toe.  Oh the excruciating pain.  I was hopping around the floor in a fair amount of pain when I realised I was leaving a trail.  My goodness I then decided to look down at the toe on to see a very unsightly gash at the base of my nail.....ouch ouch ouch.  I loved to show you the picture but I think you may all be grossed out.  If you really want to see it Haley has a copy...

I bandaged up the toe then we all took off to do our day time tour.  We had a lovely guide named Luci.  She was very enthusiastic and was very passionate about what she was showing us and telling us.  The Jose Paronella was one man that had a dream.   He turned that dream into reality and build a beautiful garden and castle home.  It was amazing and interesting hearing each of the stories.  Know that he built 80% of it himself is just stagering.  You can still see his finger mark through the concrete rendering.  The tour took just under an hour but we found it all very interesting and lots of fun.  I loved looking at the wonderful buildings and the picturesque gardens.  I felt almost mystical.  Like faries and goblins played in the gardens.  His amazing Kuri Pines were also very spectacular.  Lovers Tunnel was a little yuck as it was full of bats and spiders.  Not things I like to spend my time with.  The Waterfall was pretty spectacular also and the kids got to feed the fish from the picnic area.
Jose's fingermarks
Descending on Grand Staircase into a
mystical oasis







 

We had afternoon drinks with Susie and Mike and then an early tea.  We then went on the night tour of the gardens and wandered around the gardens looking at them differently again.  Mark the owner took us around the gardens and was very passionate about his park.  I really enjoyed the night tour and seeing all the wonderful lights.  It was very amazing.   If you ever have the chance to go, take it...its a particularly beautiful place.


Just AMAZING at night!

No comments:

Post a Comment